Stock Yamaha Brake Lines

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stock Yamaha Brake Lines

Post by Hokie on March 30th 2016, 9:31 am

Anyone know if the stock brake lines are braided stainless like a galfer brake line?
I like the Yamahammer, but the brakes are definitely not KTM like. They are good, but not KTM good.

Looking at a braided front line replacement and motul 5.1 fluid.
avatar
Hokie

Posts : 65
Join date : 2016-03-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stock Yamaha Brake Lines

Post by KTMSwade on March 30th 2016, 10:00 am

I thought Yamaha went to rubber line for part of it. There is a stainless steel kit that also does away with their goofy routing of the line and let's it be routed like a Honda iirc. You gotta hand it to KTM, when those front brakes work, they are fierce. The rotor is so big it looks like a damn mini cycle rim. I don't k ow if you will get the YZF brakes to KTM strength without a bigger rotor, but at least you can sleep at night with the bars turned whichever way you like.

_________________
Ain't dead yet
avatar
KTMSwade
Admin

Posts : 207
Join date : 2016-03-21
Location : Lenexa, KS

View user profile http://dirtbiketalk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Stock Yamaha Brake Lines

Post by Hokie on March 30th 2016, 10:02 am

KTMSwade wrote:I thought Yamaha went to rubber line for part of it.  There is a stainless steel kit that also does away with their goofy routing of the line and let's it be routed like a Honda iirc.  You gotta hand it to KTM, when those front brakes work, they are fierce.  The rotor is so big it looks like a damn mini cycle rim.  I don't k ow if you will get the YZF brakes to KTM strength without a bigger rotor, but at least you can sleep at night with the bars turned whichever way you like.

Pretty sure the patent expired on the Honda routing and all lines are like that now.

The 450 comes with a 270mm rotor stock now.

Soooo, you mean, I don't have to alternate bar direction every 2 hours and zip tie the lever in to the grip when I park it?
avatar
Hokie

Posts : 65
Join date : 2016-03-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stock Yamaha Brake Lines

Post by KTMSwade on March 30th 2016, 10:11 am

You could always buy one of the KTM Hard Parts " parking brakes". The true moon eyed kool-aid drinkers will buy anything that catalog puts out. Maybe clipboard has one with his net name engraved on it. That would be cock.

_________________
Ain't dead yet
avatar
KTMSwade
Admin

Posts : 207
Join date : 2016-03-21
Location : Lenexa, KS

View user profile http://dirtbiketalk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Stock Yamaha Brake Lines

Post by KTMSwade on March 30th 2016, 10:17 am

Ah, did not know the patent had expired. Is the 270mm rotor new for 2016? For some reason I thought they still had the smaller rotor, but now that I think of it, that might have been from the 2015 YZ250/KTM 250SX test in MXA.

I'd say if you are all bled good, rotor and pads don't have any assy grease foul, then stainless steel line upgrade is your ticket. I had a new bike that had fouled pads from the showroom, don't know if from assy, setup at the shop and they got lube or grease on them, but simple change of pads and cleaned the rotor and it was good to go.

_________________
Ain't dead yet
avatar
KTMSwade
Admin

Posts : 207
Join date : 2016-03-21
Location : Lenexa, KS

View user profile http://dirtbiketalk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Stock Yamaha Brake Lines

Post by Hokie on March 30th 2016, 10:29 am

KTMSwade wrote:Ah, did not know the patent had expired.  Is the 270mm rotor new for 2016?  For some reason I thought they still had the smaller rotor, but now that I think of it, that might have been from the 2015 YZ250/KTM 250SX test in MXA.

I'd say if you are all bled good, rotor and pads don't have any assy grease foul, then stainless steel line upgrade is your ticket.  I had a new bike that had fouled pads from the showroom, don't know if from assy, setup at the shop and they got lube or grease on them, but simple change of pads and cleaned the rotor and it was good to go.

I think the yz450's got larger rotor size this model year or last year, and it carried over to the fx model.

I think the brakes are in good shape, they just don't stop like my 250xc, not that they ever will since the 450 is much heavier, but if I can make them better, it is worth it.
avatar
Hokie

Posts : 65
Join date : 2016-03-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stock Yamaha Brake Lines

Post by KTMSwade on March 30th 2016, 11:05 am

That Brembo caliper is a strong unit and imo makes the difference.  The mc never seemed to make much difference between overall strength when I would do a CR/Nissin mc swap, it just gave a little more progressive feel versus the instant all at once of the Brembo mc.  That is one area that KTM is hard to beat is that front brake performance once you swap the mc if it starts to get the fades of course.

That and the hydro clutch are hard to get past.  When I would hop back on the CR, I would be in love with the rock solid feel at speed in rough, razor sharp turning, instant power from top to bottom on that 01 engine, but the clutch (which was THE standard all others were judged by at the time) felt heavy and the brakes were very strong, but not as crazy strong as the 2011 SX.  The only thing else I noticed right away that was a little problematic was the decreased ground clearance.  Logs or ledges i just knew would clear on my KTM from all those years of riding the Katooms, would end up with a clunk or having to loft the CR a little higher.  Not a biggie, but noticeable.

Now look, I have totally gone and gotten OT from the original topic.  Have you bled the stock stuff out yet?  Cleaned the rotor and scuffed the pads?  If so, yeah i would look at the line and go stainless if it has a rubber section.  Would be cool to get a brembo caliper adapted on with a Galfer or EBC Extreme rotor, no way to that I have ever heard of.

Fwiw, I always took the Galfer rotor off of my KTM's as they just bent too easy off-road, used the EBC Extreme rotors.  Great rotor

_________________
Ain't dead yet
avatar
KTMSwade
Admin

Posts : 207
Join date : 2016-03-21
Location : Lenexa, KS

View user profile http://dirtbiketalk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Stock Yamaha Brake Lines

Post by Hokie on March 30th 2016, 11:11 am

KTMSwade wrote:That Brembo caliper is a strong unit and imo makes the difference.  The mc never seemed to make much difference between overall strength when I would do a CR/Nissin mc swap, it just gave a little more progressive feel versus the instant all at once of the Brembo mc.  That is one area that KTM is hard to beat is that front brake performance once you swap the mc if it starts to get the fades of course.

That and the hydro clutch are hard to get past.  When I would hop back on the CR, I would be in love with the rock solid feel at speed in rough, razor sharp turning, instant power from top to bottom on that 01 engine, but the clutch (which was THE standard all others were judged by at the time) felt heavy and the brakes were very strong, but not as crazy strong as the 2011 SX.  The only thing else I noticed right away that was a little problematic was the decreased ground clearance.  Logs or ledges i just knew would clear on my KTM from all those years of riding the Katooms, would end up with a clunk or having to loft the CR a little higher.  Not a biggie, but noticeable.

Now look, I have totally gone and gotten OT from the original topic.  Have you bled the stock stuff out yet?  Cleaned the rotor and scuffed the pads?  If so, yeah i would look at the line and go stainless if it has a rubber section.  Would be cool to get a brembo caliper adapted on with a Galfer or EBC Extreme rotor, no way to that I have ever heard of.

Fwiw, I always took the Galfer rotor off of my KTM's as they just bent too easy off-road, used the EBC Extreme rotors.  Great rotor

Just ordered the brake line and motul 5.1, we shall see.

Clipboard to commence in 3...2....1......
avatar
Hokie

Posts : 65
Join date : 2016-03-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stock Yamaha Brake Lines

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum