Dirt Bike Dirt Bags
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS

4 posters

Go down

GPS Empty GPS

Post by Hotrodvw July 30th 2016, 2:33 pm

I'm looking into a GPS to take out with me. Suggestions please

Hotrodvw

Back to top Go down

GPS Empty Re: GPS

Post by longtime coming August 13th 2016, 9:37 pm

holy crap, I've lost touch with this forum. Busy, busy. You probably bought one already. I have considerable experience with handheld GPS'.

Anything Garmin. The older ones are better. They are not little computers, are more user friendly overall, and last forever.

I forget some of the model #'s. The current hi-techy fav is a Montana. they last a couple of years and then are pooched. They have immense capabilities for mapping but most people don't use that anyway. As always, they have taken a simple navigation device and overworked the problem into something complicated and that can.t stand up to everyday use (I work in a business where everyone uses a handheld GPS every day, all day long).

I have a 276c, which is old, but about the best GPS ever made (not just my opinion, but the opinion of many). A 376 is the next model, also good, but not as durable. They are kind-of big though... Damn, I can't remember the model # of a really sweet little GPS. Hmmm. Not the summit or e-trex type of units. They are a decent GPS, but a PITA to operate compared to this other damn one I am thinking of.

I would buy a low end Garmin. Likely it will do what you need??? And it will be durable. You can usually rig up some velcro and rubber bands to mount a GPS rather than one of those goofy mounts that take up room and can't take a hit.

If you are still around and haven't got one yet, then maybe I can help. Hopefully you haven't fallen into the montana trap. You will eventually be disappointed with that unit, as everyone I work with eventually is.
longtime coming
longtime coming

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrodvw August 13th 2016, 10:10 pm

I haven't bought anything yet. I do own a 3 plus from 2000. I'm not opposed to using that, but I would certainly like an updated model. I'm all ears

Hotrodvw

Back to top Go down

Post by longtime coming August 13th 2016, 11:29 pm

A III+ is a really good unit! For example; I was in the Arctic in 2000. I was in a Dozer that went through the ice. Me and the operator had to go out the hatch. Scary!!!!

Anyway, we lived. The GPS we were using to plow our preprogrammed trail was in the dozer under the ice for about 6 days (nothing happens fast in the Arctic...except death). When we finally got that D6 out of there I got the GPS, pulled the batteries, put it in a warm, well ventilated area for a couple of days and then put new batteries in and it worked as good as new. It is probably still working. More likely it is abandoned.

The newest GPS units, the top-of-the-line ones anyway are full blown little computers subject to all the computer issues that we all experience from time to time. They don't work very well in cold weather and they eventually degrade and fail. Not my idea of a navigation instrument.

There is a program called "ozi explorer". It is an inexpensive program written by a guy named Des Neuman (sp). This is one hell of a guy, as he sells this program everywhere for a reasonable price. Once you buy it, he supports it forever. He is one of the few writers who is not a money-grubbing weasel. And I bet he's made a fortune with this program with one-time only sales.

Buy ozi explorer and that will give you all the mapping that you need.

I have lost touch with Garmin's latest models, as I don't want to have anything to do with them. I hate when they show up in front of me for me to download my info into (job maps, routes, waypoints, etc).

The 3+'s weak point is its display. It is a sweet, sweet unit to operate and use in the bush. The detachable antenna is nice to have, for example.

Unless you want the fanciest gizmo, I would stay away from Montanas and similar units.

Like I said, get a lower model Garmin. Protect the screen with some 3M and replace as necessary. Garmins are tough (the old models). The buttons don't fall off, they are water resistant.

Gawd, I wish I could remember the model...A GPS 60 I think. Pretty basic, has good reception, can be loaded with a map if it has a chip??? Inquire about loading a map with GPS dude at the store. My 276c has a goofy, not available any more chip thing that will allow it to accept maps.

OK,that's it, a Garmin 60cs. Nice little unit. Easy to run, durable, fits the hand well...just a good unit with a nice screen and real buttons (not a touch screen). They are discontinued I think, but you might find one or just get something similar. It will operate a lot like your 3+ but have more mapping capability and a color screen.

So a GPS 60 and ozi explorer. You can buy "ozi" at any map store and various other places. The Garmin "mapsource " program is OK too, but doesn't have nearly the capability of Ozi. Having both doesn't hurt, wth.

If you don't need a mapping program, then just get mapsource and the digital maps you would like to use and you'll be away to the races. Don't be sucked in to the latest and greatest by the techie at the GPS store. His suggestion will likely be an eventual POS. Not like your 3+ which probably still works like new. NONE of the gps' after the ones made like your current one have buttons as good. They have all been slightly downgraded in quality of components over the years.

longtime coming
longtime coming

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrodvw August 14th 2016, 7:52 am

Wow, good info, thank you. I like my 3+, but would like updated maps, better mounting options and an internal antenna. Keep in mind, I want to use this on my bike sometimes. The removable antenna on the 3+ is nice sometimes, but it needs to be removed on the bike. It just too fragile otherwise. I rigged up a magnetic, amplified antenna for it, it works great, just too much going on though.

Hotrodvw

Back to top Go down

Post by longtime coming August 14th 2016, 8:14 am

Keep your 3+and try to find a 60cs. Any "60" model is a nice, durable, user friendly unit.

Just don't buy one of those POS Montanas, or anything derived from that model, or anything that doesn't have a chip, or any brand except Garmin.

Make a mount with a stick and some velcro and some rubber bands, maybe a clamp and some bubble gum...Or save the trouble and buy one. It won't be as good as a homemade, tucked, out of the way one.

Mount for truck: put a couple of little pieces of velcro; one on your dash and one on the windshield. Put the mates on your GPS and then tuck it right in there in the corner where it is well out of the way. Actually, put the little pieces on the gps and then match up the dash and windshield. Better than the behemoths they sell for mounts.

mount for bike: tie it to your barpad or some such thing.

Look into that Ozi Explorer program. It is the standard by which all other field mapping/navigating programs are measured. And it is cheap, as programs go. And it is reasonably easy to run (as is mapsource).
longtime coming
longtime coming

Back to top Go down

Post by shiftpro August 14th 2016, 10:53 am

Well that explains all the Red Plates driving around Nelson at 5 Ks per hour.... they are reading the instructions of their new 'smart' GPS units trying to figure out how to work the darn things.

Yeah you said another popular word pattern used a lot these day by men (boys) over 25 yrs...
"The older ones are better".
In so so many ways, ain't that the truth?
shiftpro
shiftpro

Back to top Go down

Post by longtime coming August 14th 2016, 12:12 pm

In so many ways. Maybe I'll get you to build me a truck someday Shifty...I am sick of the new ones a long time ago. Just changed the oil on wifey's Dodge 1500. Had to park over a little ditch to get under it. Had to use a 13mm wrench. Had to run my arm thru stuff to get at the oil filter and then trying to find the threads again for the new one..pita. Evil or Very Mad Ridiculous.

Some new stuff is good tho. I do like fuel injection in vehicles (but detest it in bikes). I do like electric windows and heated (cloth) seats, but that's as far as that goes.

The components in Garmin's old GPS' units is probably military spec stuff. They do NOT break down. Now that they really have no competition and probably because they really know their hardware, they have been able to cut corners. Their older units are so good that they had to make them obsolete by refusing to support them in order to sell new ones.

"red plates" ha, ha. Some of us do know how to drive. The BC guys push us around on purpose there because they act like they are in a hurry. In a hurry in BC, that's a laugh...
longtime coming
longtime coming

Back to top Go down

Post by shiftpro August 14th 2016, 12:46 pm

"red plates" ha, ha. Some of us do know how to drive. The BC guys push us around on purpose there because they act like they are in a hurry. In a hurry in BC, that's a laugh...

In a hurry to harvest nuggs my friend...
shiftpro
shiftpro

Back to top Go down

Post by zilla August 19th 2016, 9:05 pm

I use a MAP 76 that is dead reliable..  On my second one.
zilla
zilla
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by longtime coming August 21st 2016, 8:56 am

The GPS map76 is another good GPS. I think the "60" is very similar programming-wise, but is a little more comfortable in the hand; although it has a smaller screen it is still large enough to be legible. I have an original GPS 76 with the black and white screen. A very durable, solid unit. I can hardly read the screen anymore due to my eyeballs not being what they once were... The other brands just don't hold up to daily use. At one time the Magellans were found to be slightly more accurate and quicker to get a good "fix", but their durability was poor mostly due to buttons coming off. Years ago we spent some time comparing autonomous GPS positions to true surveyed positions. The Magellans were consistently more accurate than Garmins, but alas they fell apart.
longtime coming
longtime coming

Back to top Go down

Post by shiftpro August 22nd 2016, 10:29 am

longtime are you gonna get your eyeballs yanked same as your teeth?
shiftpro
shiftpro

Back to top Go down

Post by longtime coming August 22nd 2016, 12:24 pm

Probably.

Or maybe I'll just get real glasses.

Yup, probably real glasses.

Getting eyeballs yanked might go sideways.
longtime coming
longtime coming

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum