Dirt Bike Dirt Bags
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YZ250X Long haul report. (Dirt Rider)

+2
orangerider
zilla
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

YZ250X Long haul report. (Dirt Rider) Empty YZ250X Long haul report. (Dirt Rider)

Post by Kermit March 26th 2016, 4:09 pm

Last edited by Kermit on March 29th 2016, 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Kermit
Kermit

Back to top Go down

YZ250X Long haul report. (Dirt Rider) Empty Re: YZ250X Long haul report. (Dirt Rider)

Post by zilla March 26th 2016, 5:05 pm

Sounds llike a keeper bike..
zilla
zilla
Admin

Back to top Go down

YZ250X Long haul report. (Dirt Rider) Empty Re: YZ250X Long haul report. (Dirt Rider)

Post by Kermit March 26th 2016, 7:36 pm

*thumbs-up*
Kermit
Kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by KTMSwade March 27th 2016, 8:12 am

Love, love love that new Yamaha.  I am keeping an eye out for used YZ250 to get the riding legs back, but once I feel able to race, this bike is on the short list or the 250F "X" version.  I'm getting ready to build a pool for a long time riding buddy and he absolutely loves his 250F in the X version.  Running totally stock suspension, no need for tallying up another grand plus for fixing what the factory should have done right.  He is A speed guy, doesnt race much anymore, but still rides 2-3 times per month.

Wondering when the bike will get the newer style frame or maybe estart? Maybe Yamaha knows a thing or two and doesnt want to mess with a winning formula.
KTMSwade
KTMSwade
Admin

https://dirtbiketalk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by orangerider March 27th 2016, 10:34 pm

KTMSwade wrote:Love, love love that new Yamaha.  I am keeping an eye out for used YZ250 to get the riding legs back, but once I feel able to race, this bike is on the short list or the 250F "X" version.  I'm getting ready to build a pool for a long time riding buddy and he absolutely loves his 250F in the X version.  Running totally stock suspension, no need for tallying up another grand plus for fixing what the factory should have done right.  He is A speed guy, doesnt race much anymore, but still rides 2-3 times per month.

Wondering when the bike will get the newer style frame or maybe estart?  Maybe Yamaha knows a thing or two and doesnt want to mess with a winning formula.  

Wish i would have known you wanted a YZ250, sold three within the last 6 months.

I have rode the YZ250`s in the desert for several decades, they have always been sort of the underdog and that was part of the attraction for me. Now that they seem to be the talk of the town i have lost interest. My 08, 10, 12 and 15 were all basically the same bike so do not hesitate to go back several years
orangerider
orangerider

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit March 28th 2016, 9:43 am

KTMSwade wrote:
Wondering when the bike will get the newer style frame or maybe estart?  Maybe Yamaha knows a thing or two and doesnt want to mess with a winning formula.  

It does certainly work. But it needs a couple things from the factory for me to pull the trigger. So far the Beta is at the top of my list. Pretty sure I am going to get Alice the X-Trainer next spring...nice to have the same brand bikes when you have 2 of them.
Kermit
Kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by orangerider March 28th 2016, 10:43 am

Kermit wrote:
KTMSwade wrote:

It does certainly work. But it needs a couple things from the factory for me to pull the trigger. So far the Beta is at the top of my list. Pretty sure I am going to get Alice the X-Trainer next spring...nice to have the same brand bikes when you have 2 of them.
The Beta 300 motor is great i really enjoy riding the Beta 300RR, for me it was like a combination of a 4t and 2t all in one.
orangerider
orangerider

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit March 28th 2016, 12:44 pm

orangerider wrote:
The Beta 300 motor is great i really enjoy riding the Beta 300RR, for me it was like a combination of a 4t and 2t all in one.

I have only eyeballed them at the dealer. I have heard very good things about them...supposedly very Gas Gas like, both engine [power delivery] and how it fits.

Really like my Gas Gas, but no larger tank for the current frames...(financial troubles aside) they basically told me to go pound sand on the GG forum...about getting a bigger tank made. At least Beta listened to their customers and had a bigger tank made.
Kermit
Kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by KTMSwade March 28th 2016, 3:17 pm

Yo Kermit, what are the issues holding you back on the Yamaha? I am leery of the Beta suspension, whereas the Yamaha is time proven. Now if Yamaha comes out with a mid sized four stroke, say a 350 or another 400, but light and revvy feeling with estart, I will be financing another new bike or selling a testicle to get it. I liked my buddies old 01 YZ400F many moons ago, the engine was fast, the suspension was great, but fuck it was heavy feeling and that starting drill about drove me crazy when we would switch bikes
KTMSwade
KTMSwade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KTMSwade March 28th 2016, 3:25 pm

That said, the Beta produces major bike lust when sitting on it or just being near it. That race edition is friggin cock, but I just dont know if I will ever be able to race again versus plonking around. Hard to justify the expense of a Beta with the suspension work that goes along with it. That part seems to be very KTM like, great platform but needs dollars thrown at the suspension to make it work. I havent read any report saying it is box stock ready but I have to admit, I have never ridden one either. The engine and handling reports are glowing though and it has estart that actually works
KTMSwade
KTMSwade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit March 28th 2016, 4:19 pm

KTMSwade wrote:Yo Kermit, what are the issues holding you back on the Yamaha?

It isn't much.

The Yammie is a little tall for me...38" seat height compared to the Beta's 36".

Don't really need it, but e-start is nice....that and lights from the factory.

Hydro clutch.

By the time you add that to the YZ, you're pretty close the Beta's msrp.....and still no e-start and it is tall.

I am leery of the Beta suspension, whereas the Yamaha is time proven.

Heard the new Sachs isn't all that bad....still it is one of those have to ride it to find out.
Kermit
Kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by KTMSwade March 28th 2016, 4:25 pm

Those are pretty good features though when you break it down. Stillwell supposedly has the suspension sorted out, but still money that has to be spent afterwards. If and when I buy, if it is a Beta, it will be used, already setup. Just too leery of new from Beta even though I really have a case of Beta lust when i get around one. If Yamaha goes full on offroad crazy, adds some of these things (mainly lights), or brings out a midsized X model in the four stroke line, I would buy new from Yamaha.
KTMSwade
KTMSwade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit March 28th 2016, 4:39 pm

KTMSwade wrote:Those are pretty good features though when you break it down.  Stillwell supposedly has the suspension sorted out, but still money that has to be spent afterwards.  If and when I buy, if it is a Beta, it will be used, already setup. Just too leery of new from Beta even though I really have a case of Beta lust when i get around one.  If Yamaha goes full on offroad crazy, adds some of these things (mainly lights), or brings out a midsized X model in the four stroke line, I would buy new from Yamaha.

Seems like you can get a barely used Beta for $6500...much better than $8K+.

Sat on a Beta at the dealer....the ergonomics feel real close to my GG...where the YZ feels odd to me, they always have. Not horrible...just feels a bit "off" if you know what I mean.

Would buy another GG in heartbeat, if weren't for the no larger tank available. Those fucking Euros and their small tanks...don't they know I live in dirt bike mecca? Very Happy
Kermit
Kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit March 29th 2016, 8:41 am

Kermit
Kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by orangerider March 29th 2016, 10:44 am

Kermit wrote:
This vid hits the nail on the head. The bike has been around for over a decade and for some it`s as if they just woke up and discovered a new bike, there is nothing new here. Yamaha`s big money and influence, yes it`s a good old boy system some of these editors get to keep these bikes for a year in what they refer to as a long term test when in fact it should be called Yamaha has given them a free bike. All of this has taken away from what is really new, a big 4t that weighs in the low 220`s with a motor that just pulls and pulls, Yamaha has done a great job in pulling the limelight away from that major accomplishment.
orangerider
orangerider

Back to top Go down

Post by Hokie March 29th 2016, 12:15 pm

Kermit wrote:
KTMSwade wrote:Those are pretty good features though when you break it down.  Stillwell supposedly has the suspension sorted out, but still money that has to be spent afterwards.  If and when I buy, if it is a Beta, it will be used, already setup. Just too leery of new from Beta even though I really have a case of Beta lust when i get around one.  If Yamaha goes full on offroad crazy, adds some of these things (mainly lights), or brings out a midsized X model in the four stroke line, I would buy new from Yamaha.

Seems like you can get a barely used Beta for $6500...much better than $8K+.

Sat on a Beta at the dealer....the ergonomics feel real close to my GG...where the YZ feels odd to me, they always have. Not horrible...just feels a bit "off" if you know what I mean.

Would buy another GG in heartbeat, if weren't for the no larger tank available. Those fucking Euros and their small tanks...don't they know I live in dirt bike mecca? Very Happy

Yamaha and Honda have always felt spot on for me ergo wise. Took a while to get used to KTM when I started riding them.
My 450fx is definitely a tall bike. Taller than my 250xc for sure. Almost tipped over in the driveway on the first putt around the neighborhood because
of the height difference.
Hokie
Hokie

Back to top Go down

Post by KTMSwade March 29th 2016, 2:08 pm

Honda CR was always my felt right at home on bike. Logan's YZ feels pretty similar in placement of everything. Newer KTM's 2011 and newer finally feel close, but only after lowering it. I must admit though, the last KTM I owned was still a pds bike, but new frame with the 11 250SX. Once I lowered it, it felt very comfortable...but my "old" CR was still better handling and felt better to me anyhow.

There does come a point where handling and feel is just lateral changes to give different shades of gray. Good handling and spot on feel doesn't really change as we are still pretty much the same creatures we were when long travel bikes started to perfect handling, suspension and ergos. The trick is for marketing gurus to make us all think we are suddenly faster with a new bike, kind of like running faster as a kid in the mall with new tennis shoes.
KTMSwade
KTMSwade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit March 29th 2016, 6:04 pm

Every YZ I have ever ridden...just feels a little odd. My KTM 505 was a tall bike, didn't lower it, but it felt good. The GG I felt instantly comfortable on...maybe because it is made for those midget Spaniards...

...just got back from riding...mang I really like my Gasser, as you were saying Wade, those marketing guys want us to believe we "need" a new bike. I dunno, the one I have works pretty damn good. Don't feel like I need a new bike...sure do like to look though. Wink
Kermit
Kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Hokie March 29th 2016, 6:11 pm

Kermit wrote:Every YZ I have ever ridden...just feels a little odd. My KTM 505 was a tall bike, didn't lower it, but it felt good. The GG I felt instantly comfortable on...maybe because it is made for those midget Spaniards...

...just got back from riding...mang I really like my Gasser, as you were saying Wade, those marketing guys want us to believe we "need" a new bike. I dunno, the one I have works pretty damn good. Don't feel like I need a new bike...sure do like to look though. Wink

It isn't  matter of "need" man! I am sure I didn't need a 450fx....but oh boy....it sure is fun!
Hokie
Hokie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit March 29th 2016, 10:34 pm

Hokie wrote:It isn't  matter of "need" man! I am sure I didn't need a 450fx....but oh boy....it sure is fun!

Ha ha!

Oh, I definitely have the want-see's!
Kermit
Kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by KTMSwade March 30th 2016, 9:27 am

I can still get a speed boner from an older bike just as easy as a new bike, tried in vain to tell the Church of the Immaculate 300 on KSquawk that newer isnt by default better. Once I added on insult of ridiculing orange anodized bling, I was totally excommunicated by the CotI300.

Fastest, most stable, best handling/setup bike I have owned to this day was a bike from Dick's Racing, had a factory 540 engine in it, Javier knew the bike. It would still outrun anything I could find today, wish we would have had it in Baja. That 525 wheezed out at 99mph and wouldnt go a stitch faster, handled just ok, whereas the old 02, it was rad. Fastest i have even been on a dirt bike was that beotch, 108 on the gps and it was still pulling when I pussed out and let off.
KTMSwade
KTMSwade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hokie March 30th 2016, 9:34 am

I still get a boner riding a 2006 yz125....

but new bikes are the shit!

Can we say shit here?
Hokie
Hokie

Back to top Go down

Post by KTMSwade March 30th 2016, 9:52 am

Shit away my good man
KTMSwade
KTMSwade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit March 30th 2016, 10:40 am

Hokie wrote:

but new bikes are the shit!

Noting like a freshie!

Though...nothing in the land of the 2T currently that is earth shattering.
Kermit
Kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by shiftpro April 3rd 2016, 1:58 pm

I respectfully disagree with everything on this thread.
Can we agree to disagree?
shiftpro
shiftpro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next